Each time you’re about to throw leftover food into the rubbish bin, remember these facts and figures:
- Annually, 30 million babies – around 82,000 everyday – are born withintra-uterine growth retardation (IUGR), due mainly to poor nutrition.
- One in three children less than five years of age in the developing world are stunted (nearly 182 million). More than 250 million children under five are affected by sub-clinical vitamin A deficiency.
- More than a billion people are at risk of iodine deficiency disorders.
- An estimated 3.5 billion people are affected by iron deficiency and anemia.
- 54.7% of children in the Gaza Strip (Palestine) suffer from anaemia
Muslim Aid Asia is currently implementing FoodAid programmes in: Indonesia, China, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Sudan, Somalia, Kenya, Afghanistan, Palestine, Iraq and Lebanon.